Cooper, Lee move into runoff election

Ingram considers suit against Lee

4749_2cooperturnerf.jpg
Junior Madison Phillips congratulates Mary Cooper after hearing that Cooper won the preliminary round of voting for the Student Body Presidential elections on Feb. 17. Both sisters in the Kappa Delta sorority, Phillips says, "I love Mary with all my soul."

The Board of Elections announced on Thursday that Mary Cooper and Ian Lee would move on to a runoff election after garnering 39 percent and 25 percent of the vote, respectively.

The runoff election will be held Feb. 25.

The announcement came hours after the Student Supreme Court granted a motion to dismiss a complaint filed by former Speaker of Student Congress Deanna Santoro, who argued that the Student Code prevented Lee from running while serving as student body secretary.

Jessica Womack, the court’s chief justice, ultimately decided that Santoro did not file the complaint within the 72-hour statute of limitations.

Filed Feb. 7, the complaint resulted in an injunction to delay the results of the Feb. 8 election.

Rick Ingram, a leading candidate in the race who was bruised by several complaints, said he would consider filing a complaint to challenge Lee’s candidacy in the runoff.

Unofficial vote counts:

Cooper — 2,760
Lee — 1,785
Ingram — 1,249
Stephens — 1,007