Early morning intruder enters the off-campus houses of students

Police are still seeking suspect, who entered through unlocked front doors

For more information on the Chapel Hill intruder incidents, read our FAQ here.

An unidentified man entered the bedrooms of three students early this morning after the front doors of two houses were left unlocked, said Lt. Kevin Gunter of the Chapel Hill Police Department.

The incidents occurred in the 300 block of Church Street and the 300 block of Pritchard Avenue, and Gunter said police believe the cases are related because the two incidents occurred between 5:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m.

“In the first case the suspect went through an unlocked front door,” Gunter said. “The two women were awoken when they saw a strange man in their bedrooms waving a cell phone in front of their face.”

Gunter said the women yelled, and the man immediately fled on foot.

In the second case, the man similarly entered through an unlocked front door.

“Again he went to the female victim’s bedroom, and she was awoken when she felt someone rubbing her leg,” Gunter said.

The woman also screamed, sending the suspect on foot.

Gunter said no one was injured, and nothing was reported stolen.

The students described the intruder as a 6-foot-tall black male, with a medium build and very short hair. He was wearing a blue or possibly olive green short sleeve shirt.

The intruder may also have some facial hair resembling a thin goatee. The victims were not able to distinguish an age.

Gunter said residents should keep their windows and doors locked at all times and immediately report any suspicious activity.