Elections board announces winners

Uncontested candidates win, referendum results mixed

With the specter of Student Supreme Court injunctions hanging over election results, Andrew Phillips, chairman of the Board of Elections, announced the winners of the campaigns that were largely without complaints — or competition.

The duo of Dean Drescher and Mohammad Saad were elected to lead the senior class next year, defeating Susan Chen and Omar Currie by a vote of 1,073 to 684. All of the vote totals are unofficial until the board confirms them.

Each uncontested candidate won their respective elections.

Caitlin Goforth, the lone candidate for the Carolina Athletics Association presidency, won with 6,088 votes.

Hans Peng, the candidate for the Residence Hall Association presidency, won with 3,380 votes.

And Serena Witzke, the only candidate for president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, won with 609 votes.

The Student Activities Fee referendum failed, with 61.8 percent against.

The Student Activities Fee Allocation constitutional amendment passed with 58.1 percent in approval.

Phillips said the board delayed announcing the results for District 1 of Student Congress due to an investigation into alleged dormstorming.

The court enjoined to delay the release of the results for student body president and the UCommons referendum.