Pauper showcases for charity

Pauper Players is returning to the Union Cabaret once more — but this time for charity.

This will be Paupers’ first Winter Benefit Cabaret, an idea that came to them from a small-scale fundraiser a few Pauper members held last year at Jack Sprat Cafe.

“The Cabaret actually works well for this event because it has the close environment that this show calls for,” said Ben Boecker, the organizer of the event.

Pauper had already reserved the space for a winter show but opted out of that and decided to do the fund raiser instead, Boecker said.
All proceeds from ticket sales — $3 for everyone, including performers who want to join the audience to watch the rest of the show — are being donated to the Graham Johnson Cultural Arts Endowment.

The charity is named for Graham Johnson, a young boy from Winston-Salem who died at the age of 15. The main purpose of the charity is to foster the performing arts in the Wake Forest community.

“We just wanted to start this initiative, and hopefully tradition, of giving back,” said senior Olivia Myrick, executive publicity director for Pauper.

Myrick, along with UNC graduate Nick Culp, will perform “The Temp and the Receptionist,” a cabaret classic by Kooman and Dimond.
The show will be more low-key and relaxed, with only a few microphones, a piano and a drum set, Myrick said.

“It’s also a great way to show that the only stars of Pauper aren’t the lead roles, but everyone involved,” said Josh Peterson, a junior and performer in the show.

Peterson will be performing the song “Twenty-Something” with a group of other students.

With little turn-around since “Broadway Melodies” and rehearsal starting for “All Shook Up,” performers have had little time to get together a performance.

Some of the performers, however, will participate in multiple acts.
Culp is singing “And They’re Off,” from the musical “A New Brain,” with a group of students. He is also singing a solo, “Touch Me” from the musical “Spring Awakening,” in addition to his duet with Myrick.

While this is just another performance for most, it is the first chance for some to showcase their talents.

“This is my fifth year in Pauper and the first time I’ve ever set foot on a Pauper stage,” said senior Elissa Rumer, executive business director for Pauper who is performing with the group signing “And They’re Off.”

The Winter Benefit Cabaret will feature 40 performers singing about 20 different songs from cabaret and Broadway fame.

“It’s basically an awesome collaboration of anyone who is remotely affiliated with Pauper music-wise, dance-wise and performance-wise,” Myrick said.

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.