Local efforts ease prom costs

A sluggish economy combined with the high expenses of prom make the event seem like more of a nightmare than a fairy tale evening for low-income students.

But some residents and students are working to change this through donation programs that will give prom dresses to girls who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford them.

UNC’s Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority is hosting its Pearlfect Prom Project, an event held most years in the spring.

Camile Jones, president of the Black Student Movement and connections committee chairwoman for AKA, said the sorority wants to collect at least 100 dresses this year before March 31.

The group will also accept other formal wear donations like jewelry, handbags and shoes. On the day of prom, the project will provide volunteer beauty professionals.

Jones said the economic downturn has changed attitudes toward prom spending.

“I’m sure people are more conscious,” she said. “People might just go senior year. They might borrow a dress.”

Christ United Methodist Church in Southern Village is also reaching out to students having trouble paying for a dress through its first Cinderella’s Closet program, which will be held Thursday.

Lisa Wojnovich, the project coordinator, said 13 girls from Carrboro High School will be able to pick from more than 200 dresses.

“The way it works is they’re referred by the social worker at school, which is great because it acts as a catalyst to create a relationship with the social worker,” Wojnovich said.

At the event, each student will be greeted by a “fairy godmother” who will help her choose a dress, shoes and accessories.

Sephora is donating skin care and beauty products, and students from the Aveda Institute will style the girls’ hair the day of prom.

“It’s not just about the prom, it’s about people making them feel like they’re special,” Wojnovich said.

Leftover dresses will be sent to Pittsboro Baptist Church, which is hosting a similar program.

Apart from receiving a donated dress, prom attendees looking to save money can also turn to consignment and thrift shops.

Current fashions and tight budgets are dictating the trends this year, store owners say.

At The Stock Exchange, owner Lesleigh Cooper said she has noticed an uptick in the popularity of cocktail dresses as opposed to more traditional long dresses for prom.

“I’ve definitely seen more girls who don’t want the more frou-frou dresses, the poofy dresses,” Cooper said.

Refinements Inc. owner Cynthia Williams said she also noticed the rising popularity of cocktail dresses for prom and plans on donating some dresses to the Cinderella’s Closet program.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.