The Daily Tar Heel
Printing news. Raising hell. Since 1893.
Sunday, May 26, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

We keep you informed.

Help us keep going. Donate Today.
The Daily Tar Heel

Today marks the end of the national week celebrating open government. But if you have questions for the people who serve you, know that you can ask. Many of the records kept by the government are public and can be requested.

To the right, local government agencies outline the most effective ways to request information.

Chapel Hill Police Department

To request a traffic collision report, visit the department Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The fee is 10 cents per page. To request crime statistics, contact crime analyst Karen Rose, at (919) 968-2760, ext. 154.

Town of Chapel Hill

To contact the communications and public affairs department, call (919) 968-2743, visit town hall at 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, or e-mail

UNC-Chapel Hill

Submit public records requests in writing. Submit requests to Regina Stabile, University public records officer, via e-mail,; letter, Campus Box #9105, Carolina Campus, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599-9105; or fax (919) 843-1617.

Orange County

Submit requests to information specialist David Hung by e-mail at

To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.

Special Print Edition
The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide