Pro Day at North Carolina is the football equivalent of graduation — football players who played at North Carolina work out at an official UNC event for the last time in their collegiate careers.
While the chance to work out for scouts from the NFL is largely exciting for the players, there is also a twinge of bittersweet finality added to the proceedings.
“I’m going to miss Carolina,” former UNC running back Johnny White said. “Just the experience, the fans here, the social life and stuff like that, but it is a stepping stone, and now I have to move on with my life.”
Pro Day Results
1. Greg LIttle, 38 in.; 2. Ryan Taylor, 34 in.; 3. Robert Quinn, 33 in.; 4. Shaun Draughn 32.5 in.
1. Little, 4.53; T1. Johnny White, 4.53; 3. Quinn 4.59; 4. Draughn 4.62.
Bench Press (225 lbs)
1. Quinn, 24; T1. Mike Ingersoll, 24; 3. Greg Elleby 22; T3. Alan Pelc, 22.
1. Quinn 33 1/2 in.; 2.Pelc 33 1/8 in.; 3. Elleby 33 in; 4. Da’Norris Searcy 32 3/4 in.
1. Draughn 4.16; 2. Little 4.19; 3. Quinn 4.26.
Only this year, there was a sense of novelty, as well. Marvin Austin, Greg Little and Robert Quinn — none of whom played a down this season after they lost their eligibility — were added to the cadre of seniors.
“It gave everybody a bit more energy,” UNC quarterback T.J. Yates said. “They were always leaders on our team, and part of our whole senior class. Obviously it created a huge buzz out here with the scouts around.”