UNC professors Sandra Martin and Harold Kohn have been honored with Faculty Mentoring Awards from the Carolina Women’s Leadership Council.

The awards, which carry a $5,000 stipend, were presented last week at a ceremony at the Carolina Inn. They are meant to recognize faculty who make an extra effort to guide students and faculty at the University.

Martin is associate dean for research in the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health and a professor in the department of maternal and child health, and Kohn is a professor in the Eshelman School of Pharmacy.

Martin received the award for faculty-to-student mentoring, She has advised students interested in nursing, psychology and social work.

Kohn, awarded for providing faculty-to-faculty guidance, built and mentored his lab group, which is credited with the discovery of the epilepsy- treating agent lacosamide.

The council is a volunteer committee that has raised more than $260,000 to endow the mentoring awards and support faculty.

The award was first given in 2006 and will be an ongoing program open to tenured, tenure-track faculty and fixed-term faculty who have taught at UNC for at least three years.