Softball’s Papa earns 1,000th win

When North Carolina softball coach Donna Papa came to Chapel Hill in 1985, portable toilets served as locker rooms and Papa’s trunk was the team’s equipment shed.

After notching her 1,000th career win Sunday in a series sweep of the Florida State Seminoles, Papa acknowledged just how far the program has come.

“You just think about your whole career being somewhere,” Papa said. “I’ve been very fortunate to be somewhere for 26 years and to be at the helm of the program to grow it and to develop it.”

After the win, a presentation was made featuring messages from former assistant coaches Beverly Smith and Janelle Breneman. Papa was presented with a banner and framed jersey with “Papa” on the back and the number 1,000 to commemorate the occasion.

Papa began her career as the head coach of both volleyball and softball at Susquehanna University. A four-time ACC coach of the year, Papa has coached 11 All-Americans.

Papa has coached the Tar Heels to four regular-season ACC titles and the 2001 ACC tournament championship.

Coming into the 2011 season, Papa was ranked 12th among all active Division 1 coaches in career wins.

The stat book does not fully illustrate the impact Papa has had on the Tar Heels’ softball program, as she was a driving force behind the development of Anderson Stadium, the team’s home since 2002.

“We were getting killed in recruiting because we didn’t have a facility,” Papa said. “It was a lot of blood, sweat, and tears trying to get it built … it was worth it.”

Senior catcher Brittany McKinney has been with the program for both Papa’s 900th and 1,000th win, but what really stands out to McKinney is Papa’s personal relationship with her players.

When McKinney lost someone close to her earlier this year, she said Papa was there.

“She stayed beside me, and comforted me,” McKinney said. “What makes her so great is how she takes care of you off the field, and she did that.”

Papa refuses to become complacent and has yet to accomplish her ultimate goal.

“I want to go to the (College) World Series, I want to win a national championship,” Papa said. “We have a little ways to go to get there.”

Assistant coach Boo Gillette, in just her first year with the program, has already seen Papa’s “Carolina family” she has so diligently worked to create. On Gillette’s first day on campus, she attended a barbeque for players and their families, and every single athlete who walked through the door hugged Papa and kissed her on the cheek.

“North Carolina softball is Donna Papa and Donna Papa is North Carolina softball,” Gillette said.

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.