UNC football returns to field for spring practice

Last year’s NCAA investigations surrounding the North Carolina football team have yet to be completely resolved.

But as the Tar Heels took Navy Field on Wednesday for the first of 15 spring practices, the controversy was the last thing on coach Butch Davis’ mind.

“(The NCAA hasn’t) been here in several months, and that’s something that obviously the University and the institution, that’s more in their area of expertise,” Davis said. “Ours is trying to get this football team prepared to play the 2011 season.”

Davis said he looks forward to the return of 2010 redshirts A.J. Blue and Giovani Bernard, but the loss of 17 seniors will weigh heavy on the Tar Heels.

With the graduation of starters Kendric Burney, Deunta Williams and Da’Norris Searcy, the Tar Heels must rebuild the entire secondary.

Cornerback Charles Brown, who was suspended for the entire 2010 season, will return in the fall, but not before sitting out the first game of the season and paying back benefits he received.

Davis said last season’s adversity has fostered increased seriousness as his team prepared for practice. The investigation-related challenges and suspensions have taught the Tar Heels just how valuable wearing the UNC jersey really is.

“(The suspended players) have expressed emphatically to these guys the remorse that they went through and how devastating it was for them to have to sit in the stands and watch games,” Davis said. “It crushed a lot of them. They sat in the stands and cried.

“I don’t think that that message will be lost for a while.”

In addition to holes left by graduating Tar Heels, defensive end Linwan Euwell has left the University, and the Tar Heels let five-star commit Delvon Simmons out of his letter of intent.

The most notable change to the roster will be the absence of four-year starting quarterback T.J. Yates.

But with backup Bryn Renner waiting in the wings, Davis said he’s confident the transition will be smooth.

Renner will compete for the starting job with three others, including January enrollee Marquise Williams. Renner has thrown just two passes in his collegiate career, but Davis is confident the redshirt sophomore’s hard work on the practice field will soon pay off.

“I love what he did last year, knowing that he was playing behind T.J., knowing that he would have loved to play,” Davis said. “He handled it, he studied hard and he learned well.”

With a spring in his step as he threw passes to his teammates during practice, Renner was overjoyed to be back on the football field.

The 2011 season could be his opportunity to shine. But for now, he’s just focused on improvement.

“I think we’re excited,” Renner said. “Every chance you get to be on the football field with your teammates is a great opportunity to get better.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.