UNC women’s basketball seniors have each other’s back

Two seniors begin last postseason

Standing beneath the shadows of the Carmichael Arena jumbotron, senior women’s basketball players Cetera DeGraffenreid and Italee Lucas stand with their arms around each other.

The pair of North Carolina’s most prolific guards gaze upwards with misty eyes — not at the final score of a disappointing loss to Georgia Tech, but the images flashing above them.

Each watch as the history of their past four years on the court is cut, clipped and strung together in a quick video on Senior Night.

But their appreciation, for both the memories and each other, lasts much longer.

“Me and T were the original ones coming in together, so just to be able to watch that with her was a special moment,” Lucas said. “Seeing some of the few highlights of the past seasons, it just came quick. We’re definitely trying to make it more memorable.”

Now playing in their fourth and final ACC Tournament together, it’s clear Lucas and DeGraffenreid have come a long way from their successful first season.

Roommates and friends from the start, there’s always been something special about the pair’s friendship and how it translates on the court, UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said.

“Right away they created a bond because of going through the same things,” Hatchell said. “They’ve always been there for each other and supported each other. (They have) different personalities, but you can tell that they mesh and have a good chemistry. They respect and like each other, and I know they enjoy playing together.”

It turns out, though, that bond was created well before Lucas and DeGraffenreid even arrived in Chapel Hill.

After playing against each other in club basketball, it was Lucas — not Hatchell — that really pressured DeGraffenreid to finally commit to North Carolina during their senior season at the Nike Skills Academy.

“Doing the whole travel ball thing, we saw each other and whatnot, but the first time I really met her I hadn’t committed yet,” DeGraffenreid said. “She was like, ‘You gotta get on board, you gotta come.’ I mean, I had always wanted to, I just hadn’t decided yet.”

Soon after, DeGraffenreid became a Tar Heel.

“At the time I was a point guard, but I also knew that I was more of a scorer,” Lucas said. “So I had a feeling that we’d be playing a lot together … I’m sure I wasn’t the only influence, but I’m so glad she came here. I wouldn’t want to experience my college life with anybody else by my side.”

Then the two experienced what only fellow senior Jessica Breland has been a part of — an ACC Tournament title and a trip to the Elite Eight.

With DeGraffenreid as a permanent member of the lineup and Lucas playing minutes while transitioning to a shooting guard, the two were key contributors to UNC’s most successful season since 2006-07.

“I don’t think anybody has two guards in the country that have more experience and have gone further — to an Elite Eight — than those two have,” Hatchell said.

That experience is exactly what’s driving them now.

On a mission to go out the way they began, DeGraffenreid and Lucas have their eyes set on an ACC title and a successful postseason trip in the NCAA Tournament.

Leading the Tar Heels with an average of 16.2 points per game, Lucas has had no trouble capitalizing on plays from DeGraffenreid’s direction.

Meanwhile, DeGraffenreid leads the ACC in her assist-to-turnover ratio. Just narrowly in second place for assists for the conference, DeGraffenreid dishes out five per game — most of which end up in Lucas’ hands.

“She’s one of those people where I know if I get the ball to her, it’s going in,” DeGraffenreid said. “She’s one of the ones I know I can count on. Even if I give it to her in an awkward place or the pass isn’t right on the spot, I know she’s going to make a play out of it.”

And that confidence is something that goes both ways.

Feeding off each others’ performances, if DeGraffenreid is having a great game, one can bet Lucas is too.

“We know each other better on the court sometimes than we know ourselves,” Lucas said. “It makes it that much easier to make plays when you know somebody that well.”

Trusting in that chemistry leaves the two in prime position as tournament season begins. With high expectations, the drive is there from UNC’s senior leaders. And Hatchell said the only thing left for her guards to do is perform the way she believes she has yet to see from the duo.

“When those two decide to get going, that’d be pretty hard to stop,” Hatchell said. “(I’ve seen it) in times and in spurts, but I think that if they’re both on their ‘A’ game that it would be really hard to stop this team. Without a doubt.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.