Chapel Hill hopes to keep grant funds

Although Chapel Hill is celebrating projects supported by a federal grant this week, it’s still uncertain how much of these funds the town will receive in the upcoming year.

Because the federal government must cut spending, Chapel Hill officials are predicting a decrease in the money they would normally receive from the Community Development Block Grant program, which is being celebrated as part of National Community Development Week.

The program, run by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, aims to facilitate the development of living environments for low- and middle-income people.

The federal department won’t say how much money the town will receive through the grant until the federal budget is resolved, so it is uncertain how much the funds will be decreased, said Megan Wooley, town housing and neighborhood services planner.

“We’re hoping it’s zero percent,” she said.

Chapel Hill has received money from the program since 1975.

In the 2010-11 fiscal year, the town received more than $640,000 from the program. The money was allocated among 11 nonprofit organizations.

Chapel Hill has received similar amounts of grant money every year, Wooley said.

Even if the town receives fewer funds later this year, the money will still benefit the area, Wooley said.

The town received about $615,000 in funds for development programs this year, which the Chapel Hill Town Council allocated between different organizations at its Monday night meeting.

“Luckily, we have very strong and creative nonprofits, so I have faith that next year’s recipients will do great things,” she said.

The Boys and Girls Club of Eastern Piedmont received $10,000 in 2010-11 to help the organization open a new facility off of Merritt Mill Road.

Ben Perry, chairman of the club’s Orange County unit, said the club was the perfect fit for the grant money because of the population it serves and its project.

“We just sort of fit into their box,” he said.

The Inter-Faith Council for Social Service also received grant funds last year and will receive $51,000 in the upcoming year.

Chris Moran, executive director of the IFC, said last year’s money went to architects and engineers to help the organization prepare a special-use permit for a new transitional men’s shelter.

“You’ve got to spend money to get a special use permit,” Moran said.
The decision on the permit for the shelter will be made in May.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.