Bill addresses cockfighting birds in NC

Possession of birds to be questioned

Fighting roosters might no longer be welcome in the state.

A bill in the N.C. General Assembly aims to make the breeding, ownership, transportation, training and sale of fighting roosters and other fighting birds illegal.

Cockfighting is illegal in North Carolina.

The bill defines a cockfight as a fight between two or more birds arranged by a person with the purpose or probable result of one bird inflicting injury on another.

“We banned cockfighting as legislation four years ago, but we had this loophole where you could still possess the animals or the equipment,” said Rep. Pricey Harrison, D-Guilford, a co-sponsor of the bill.

“This just closes that loophole,” she said.

Though the bill defines a fighting rooster as one that is intentionally bred or used for fighting, questions remain about how the police will distinguish between fighting and regular roosters.

Ryan Huling, the assistant manager of college campaigns for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said fighting roosters tend to have their wattles and combs cut off so their opponents cannot grab them during combat.

The website for the United Gamefowl Breeders Association claims cutting the wattles and combs is a common practice by all farmers and a requirement for any non-fighting exhibition.

Nikki Berryman, competitive and special exhibits coordinator for the N.C. State Fair division of the N.C. Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services, said the fair’s competition does not require this.

PETA sides with the bill and also opposes the cutting of wattles and combs for any other purpose.

“Cruelty is cruelty,” Huling said. “Chopping off parts of their body for fighting or for decoration is wrong.”

Preventing animal cruelty is not the only purpose of the bill. Representatives and advocates hope the law will help reduce other crimes associated with cockfights.

“They have gambling, they have guns, they do a lot of illegal activity,” said Rep. Pat Hurley, R-Randolph, a co-sponsor of the bill.

Huling said the fights also promote bloodshed.

After just one hearing, the bill was moved to the full judiciary committee.

But some representatives believe the bill might not pass.

“I don’t think the creators of the bill themselves know if it’s a deliberate stalling tactic,” Harrison said.

Hurley said she is also unsure about whether it will pass.

“I’ve heard that there are some problems,” she said.

Some fighting rooster breeders from Conover and Morganton, declined to comment.

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.