Tuesday November 30th

Concealed weapons not a defense in armed robbery

After reading the letters and reports concerning the robbery at Morrison, I’m at a loss as to how someone could argue adding concealed weapons to the situation would have made things “safer.” Unless the residents of Morrison were ready to shoot to kill, any kind of escalation might have resulted in a firefight instead of a robbery.

Look, I’ve been mugged at gunpoint before. Was it scary? Did it make me feel helpless? Was I frustrated and furious? Of course. But in the end the guy got my wallet and I got my life. Even if I’d been armed, I’m still fairly sure the worst thing I could have done was pull another gun on someone sick and desperate enough to hold me up in the first place.

Some may argue the mere presence of concealed weapons on campus is enough to deter crime. DPS has a whole bunch of them about 100 feet from Morrison.

I would argue locking your doors and windows (to prevent Chapel Hill creeping), not letting armed, convicted felons into your residence hall (a.k.a. Morrison) and not walking alone late at night (thanks SafeWalk) are probably safer and more effective strategies than allowing concealed weapons on campus.

Spencer Scheidt

Junior

Biology Major

Welcome Back Edition 2021