Local commerce chamber fastest growing in NC

A recent membership drive established the local chamber of commerce as the fastest growing in North Carolina.

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce added 285 new members between April 5 and April 7.

The membership drive broke the state record for chamber membership events.

It will help the chamber better serve its members by having access to a larger network of small businesses.

The chamber utilized the services of Your Chamber Connection, a company that conducts membership events, to organize more than 200 volunteers in the campaign and raise $101,000 in new membership dues.

Although not a small business, the Preservation Society of Chapel Hill is one of the new members.

Ernest Dollar, director of the Preservation Society, said the chamber will help him make the connections that he needs for the organization to succeed and have a positive impact on the community.

“We’re trying to preserve not only the history but the commerce of Chapel Hill,” Dollar said. “In this economy, being able to make more connections is important.”

Dollar said recent programs such as the preservation society’s mural restoration project prove their commitment to business.

“We’re out there trying to promote a lot of business,” Dollar said.

Chamber President and CEO Aaron Nelson said the chamber’s public policy agenda attracted members.

Public policy goals include improving and maintaining infrastructure, improving access to customers and increasing participation in the business community.

“Our job is to help small business to become more successful,” Nelson said.

“We look forward to giving a return on their investment.”

Chamber vice president for membership Meg Branson said the chamber’s money-saving partnerships were incentives for many to join.

“We’ve got a great service called the Small Business Health Service,” Branson said. “It offers affordable health care to chamber members and their employees.”

Branson said increased membership would help make the organization stronger.

“We’re really thrilled at the results,” Branson said.

“When our business and nonprofit leaders came together with this common goal we were really able to produce some amazing results.”

Contact the City Editor?at city@dailytarheel.com.