Maymester attracts dedicated students

The promise behind the Maymester program is simple. Students can earn three credit hours in three weeks.

This is only for those who can commit their time and true effort from May 10 through May 27. The condensed classes might combine up to a week’s worth of homework in a single night.

Maymester became a permanent part of Summer School in 2010 when 418 students enrolled. It now includes 36 courses representing 15 departments.

Dale Hutchinson, an anthropology professor, said he is a strong believer in the program. “It really keeps you in the saddle, constantly going, really totally engrossed in it.”

Jan Yopp, dean of Summer School, said a lot of students like the focused learning for an intense time without the distractions of other courses and activities.

“Students can easily complete Maymester and then get out soon to enjoy their summer,” she said.

The long class periods provide opportunities for other methods of teaching. “A variety of teaching and learning methods are employed — some discussion, presentation, some breaks like field activities, or films,” Hutchinson said.

A few of the courses scheduled this summer even have travel components to Morehead City, local museums or Charleston, S.C.

Each course occupancy is kept low, with no class exceeding 30 students and averaging between 10 and 20 students.

Julia Wood, professor of humanities, said she enjoys getting to know her students. She attributes better grades from the Maymester, as compared to spring or fall semesters, to a greater sense of community formed during intense sessions.

The summer school offices are very careful when selecting courses for Maymester. They make sure the classes offered are feasible for the time constraints. “You will never see Chemistry 101 taught in three weeks,” said Yopp.

Not all people are strong advocates of the tough schedule.

Lisa LaMantia, a senior academic advisor, said she rarely recommends the Maymester program because of its high intensity. “Class for that time is your life,” she said.

An extremely unique opportunity, Maymester is something that students must think about and plan for before enrolling.

“The most important thing is to know what kind of student you are,” Hutchinson said. “Then you will know if Maymester is right for you.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.