UNC softball wins one and loses one in double-header against UNC-G

In Logan Foulks’ first game back following an eye injury, she registered a rookie season-high four runs alongside her two earned hits.

Free of stitches, Foulks came off the bench to pinch hit for shortstop Paige Williams in the fifth inning of the first game of a double header.

Foulks hit a line drive over the center field fence, scoring teammate Tisha Mahon. Foulks’ big at-bat gave the North Carolina softball team a 2-1 lead against UNC-Greensboro and helped the Tar Heels beat the Spartans 4-1 in the first game of the night at Williams Field before dropping the second contest later that night.

“My team just told me relax and hit the ball,” Foulks said. “I had nothing to lose, so I just got out there and hit the ball.”

Foulks stepped to the plate again in the bottom of the sixth with the bases loaded. She singled up the middle to score Chelsey Butler and Kelsey Green to achieve the final score.

“Logan is a good hitter and did a great job in a pressure situation,” said UNC coach Donna Papa. “She delivered a home run when we were down, drove some runners in and had a really great day at the plate.”

Freshman pitcher Lori Spingola fanned 11 batters, registering her fourth double-digit strikeouts game this season. She held the Spartans to just four hits during six innings.

“I really just wanted to throw loose but have the mentality of getting big strikeouts,” Spingola said.

With a three-run pad in the final frame, Spingola showed her confidence in the circle, striking out the first two batters and throwing an easy pop out to right field to end the game.

Game two of the doubleheader opened with a Spartans’ offensive explosion. UNC-G’s batters unloaded five runs off five hits in the first inning.

“Five hits and five runs is a tough hole to climb out of,” Papa said.

“We were in a good fielding situation and just didn’t take care of business.”

But freshman pitcher Sara Buchholz was unshaken on the mound, allowing only one additional hit in the remaining six innings.

UNC managed two runs on a double by first baseman Haleigh Dickey in the bottom of the third to bring the score to 5-2.

But for the Tar Heels, a comeback wasn’t in the cards. UNC-G held onto the three-run lead and dropped UNC to 27-16 overall while the Spartans advanced to 18-22. UNC-G, who has struggled on the road (4-10), managed to quell its four-game losing streak with the win.

“We hit the ball hard, but just right at people,” Papa said. “I think we’re better than the three hits we got.”

The Tar Heels come off the midweek tilt in preparation for a battle against ACC powerhouse Georgia Tech this weekend.

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.