UNC’s Jessica Breland, Italee Lucas taken in WNBA draft

Breland, Lucas go in 2nd round

Photo: 2 Heels taken in WNBA Draft (Katie Sweeney)
The Chapel Hill "Friends of Downtown" held their monthly meeting at Top of the Hill Thursday morning. Roger Waldon, a previous Director of Planning for Chapel, was the guest speaker at the meeting.

In North Carolina’s 72-65 Sweet 16 loss to Stanford on March 26, forward Jessica Breland had just two points.

The 6-foot-3 forward’s rare underwhelming performance might have been her last showing as a Tar Heel, but it won’t be the final game of her basketball career.

In Monday’s WNBA Draft, Breland was selected 13th overall by the Minnesota Lynx before being traded to the New York Liberty. UNC guard Italee Lucas was selected by the Tulsa Shock as the 21st overall pick.

Coach Sylvia Hatchell was overjoyed with how it turned out.

“Our style of play, the WNBA loves it,” Hatchell said. “The most important thing is not the number they go, but the fit. I think for both of them it’s a good fit.”

Breland, who finished the 2010-11 season second in both scoring and rebounding, was one of 15 players invited to Monday’s draft at ESPN’s headquarters.

Having watched Breland excel since her recovery from Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Lucas raved about her teammate’s bright future.

“Just the battle that she’s overcome, and her work ethic, I’m really happy that she has another chance and to show the professional world what she has to offer,” Lucas said. “I wish her the best of luck.”

Lucas led UNC in scoring and averaged 16.2 points per game during her senior season.

The second-team All-ACC selection will play in Tulsa with Stanford’s Kayla Pedersen, who was selected by the Shock in the first round. The two played together on the 2007 USA basketball U19 National Team.

Lucas is looking forward to being teammates again at the next level.

“We complement each other very well and it’ll be exciting to have the opportunity to play with her again,” she said.

Hatchell acknowledged that Breland’s recovery is still a work in progress. But in the futures of her pair of leaders, she holds the utmost confidence.

“(Breland’s) going to get better,” Hatchell said. “She did well to come back and do what she did this year, but she’s not at full strength yet.”

“I think for both of them, their best is yet to come.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.