UNC’s Morris, Presson take it easy this weekend

Resting up for track and field ACC championships

Photo: UNC’s Morris, Presson take it easy this weekend
Isaac Presson University of North Carolina Cross Country Chapel Hill, NC Monday, August 23, 2010

Many of UNC’s top performers will not participate in this weekend’s meet in order to rest up for the upcoming ACC Outdoor Championships in Durham.

“I know this might sound strange, but we don’t really want anybody to have a really big performance this weekend,” coach Dennis Craddock said. “We would love to save those for next weekend at the ACC Championships.”

Avoiding big performances will be difficult for a UNC team that has had plenty of late, especially from freshmen Isaac Presson and Sandi Morris.

Presson recorded the top time in the nation in the men’s 1500 meters on April 1 at the Florida Relays. Presson’s time of 3:43:59 is the fastest time in the NCAA this season.

Presson also ran the anchor leg of the men’s 1600 meter sprint medley relay, running a time of 3:20.24 and breaking the UNC school record for the event set in 1987.

“My goal for that weekend was just to run with the leaders and try to make my move at the end,” Presson said. “I was definitely surprised when I saw my times, especially because it was my first time running the 1500 outdoors.”

Morris set a new UNC pole vault record at last weekend’s Duke Invitational. Morris jumped 14-1 1/4 to win the women’s pole vault event and broke Laura Risi’s record of 13-1 1/2.

“Sandi is very talented but what sets her apart is her confidence,” Craddock said. “After her jump last weekend, I went over to congratulate her on a great freshman season as she said ‘Coach, the season is not over yet.’ She knows her talent and her goals are high.”

Morris’ jump ranks third all-time in the NCAA books for a freshman, and she is currently the top-ranked freshman in the nation in pole vaulting.

While Presson and Morris have had an impressive month of April, they and the rest of the UNC track and field team will need to save their best for the ACC Outdoor Championships, which will be held April 21-23 at Duke.

In order to rest up for the ACC Championships, Presson and Morris will not be competing at this Saturday’s meet.

“A big part of pole vault is having the endurance to recuperate and be able to keep jumping,” Morris said. “Sometimes you get tired and worn out because you’ve taken too many jumps, so I am taking this weekend off so I can be at my best at the ACCs.”

UNC’s men finished fourth in the ACC Championships last season while the women came in third. Both Presson and Morris could help the Tar Heels next week in areas the team lacked last year.

Presson’s best time in the 1500 meters would have easily captured first place in the event in last season’s ACC Championships while Morris’ best pole vault would have captured the event for the women.

While Presson and Morris will be getting a rest this weekend, the rest of the UNC track and field team will compete in this Saturday’s Kent Taylor-Joe Hilton Carolina Invitational. Field events are set begin at 10:30 a.m., track events will start at 11 a.m.

“There are going to be some good teams here this weekend,” Craddock said. “While it will be a good meet with some national exposure, we really just want to have a good practice day and leave this weekend ready for the ACC Championships.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.