Search for UNC journalism school dean expands to four candidates

As the University continues to search for a dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, another candidate has been added to the mix.

But unlike the other three candidates — who have backgrounds in academia — the newest contender has more professional experience.

Susan King, vice president of external affairs and director of the Journalism Initiative for the Carnegie Corporation of New York, was added to the list of finalists last week.

According to her curriculum vitae, King has been the vice president for public affairs for the Carnegie Corporation, assistant secretary for public affairs in the Department of Labor and has reported independently for CNN and ABC Radio News.

“She brings lots of experience to the table,” said Jim Dean, chairman of the search committee and dean of Kenan-Flagler Business School.

King declined to comment on her selection as finalist, writing in an email that she thought any comment would be inappropriate before she visits the University.

King will visit the University on May 31, Dean said.

Bruce Carney, executive vice chancellor and provost, said the search committee decided to add King to the list of finalists after a video conference last week.

The addition of a candidate after the initial list of three was released is not out of the ordinary, Dean said.

“The nature of searches at UNC is such that the search is open until someone is identified for the position by the provost,” Dean said.

He said the committee did not choose King as a finalist solely for her professional experience.

“Journalism is really an interesting area because there are so many different kinds of things you can do to contribute to journalism,” he said.

The new dean will succeed Jean Folkerts, who has said she will step down at the end of June.

The finalists include Carol Pardun, John Pavlik and David Perlmutter, heads of the journalism programs at the University of South Carolina, Rutgers University and the University of Iowa, respectively.

Pardun said she was not surprised the committee picked someone with King’s background.

“Frankly, I was surprised there wasn’t someone on the original list of three from the (professional side),” she said.

Carney said there is no specific timetable for the selection of the dean.

Even if Carney were to make a decision by the beginning of June, he said he will likely have to appoint an interim dean.

Contact the University Editor

at university@dailytarheel.com.