University proceeds with renovations to chancellor’s house

Photo: University proceeds with renovations to chancellor’s house (Courtesy of Mike McFarland)

The porch at Chancellor Holden Thorp’s house is being made compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act with the addition of a ramp.

Looming budget cuts have forced the University to put some capital projects on hold.

But renovations of Chancellor Holden Thorp’s house are proceeding as planned — and they carry a price tag of $165,627.

The two projects, which are scheduled to be completed within the next few weeks, will construct a large back porch at the Quail Hill residence and renovate a cottage on the property.

The University paid for the $115,927 porch renovation with funds reserved annually for projects that are not budgeted at the beginning of the year, said Dick Mann, vice chancellor for finance and administration.

He said the project was small enough to be covered by the funds.
“This was inexpensive enough,” Mann said. “Had this been a million-dollar project we probably couldn’t do it.”

He added that the funding was not appropriated from the state legislature.

“Eighty-something percent of state funds go to salaries,” he said. “So we don’t have a lot of non-salary, expendable, (state) dollars.”

The renovation became necessary after a state law was passed forbidding large tents from being attached to state-owned buildings, said Nancy Davis, associate vice chancellor for university relations.

These kinds of tents were used to accommodate the large crowd of guests often invited to the chancellor’s residence, she said.

The porch will be able to host these sized crowds, which are invited to the house eight to 10 times a year, Davis said.

The other project, which will cost $49,700, will renovate a cottage on the chancellor’s property so that it can house the University’s guests, said Carolyn Elfland, associate vice chancellor for campus services.

Elfland said the project is funded through the income from an endowment established when the property was donated to the University.

She added that the cottage used to house an employee who maintained the grounds, but that it hasn’t served that purpose since Thorp became chancellor.

Last year, Quail Hill was used for more than 40 University events.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.