Man crashes car in front of UNC’s Memorial Hall

Photo: Student government still looking for new chairman of Board of Elections (Erin Hull)

George Foy crashed his car Tuesday. Foy was charged with driving while impaired and failure to reduce speed.

Onlookers were treated to some action Tuesday at Memorial Hall, though no concert or play had been scheduled.

And the activity did not take place on a stage, or even in the building.

A man crashed his car into a guard post on Cameron Avenue in front of Memorial Hall at 3:44 p.m., according to a Department of Public Safety arrest report.

George Foy, a 56-year-old man from Chapel Hill, was charged with driving while impaired and failure to reduce speed, the report states.

Both charges are misdemeanors, said Randy Young, DPS spokesman.
According to the arrest report, Foy’s blood alcohol level was .22. He “admitted to having a few drinks,” the report states.

Young added that Foy was driving a 2011 four-door white Mercury Grand Marquis.

He was taken to an Orange County magistrate before being driven home, the report states.

Last month, a 60-year-old woman was driving on Rosemary Street when her car flipped on its side, according to a Chapel Hill police report.

She was charged with driving while impaired and texting while driving, the report stated.

Young said driving while impaired leading to property damage is rare on campus, especially during the summer.

He said this is more likely to happen during the academic year when there is a large-scale event being held on campus.

Foy’s court date is Aug. 9, the report states.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.