Comedian Rob Delaney touts personal humor

It’s known for bringing in a variety of musical acts, but sometimes Cat’s Cradle serves as a stage for comedy as well.

On Wednesday, in what will be his first time performing in North Carolina, comedian Rob Delaney comes to Carrboro. Delaney has done work as both a stand-up comedian and a writer for various television shows appearing on stations such as MTV.

Delaney, whose wife is from Asheville, said he and his family are visiting to introduce his baby son to his grandfather and he thought it would be fun to do a show while in the area.

Opening for Delaney will be Jon Wurster and Mac McCaughan, who will perform a comedy act. A surprise musical guest will also perform. Diversions spoke with Delaney before his flight to North Carolina.

Diversions: What was it that got you interested in becoming a comedian?

Rob Delaney: I acted in theatre and television since I was in high school, and then I found that I really only cared about doing funny things. When I was in college in New York, I saw the Upright Citizens Brigade in 1997 and that pretty much changed my life. I first did stand-up eight years ago, and I’ve been doing it very seriously for four.

Dive: How would you describe your approach to comedy?

R.D.: My humor is very personal. In my comedy, I don’t care about politics or pop culture. I care about my immediate personal life like my family, my own body and my own tiny little world where everything is about me. I’m a scumbag, but I’m happy. I’m a happy scumbag.

Dive: How have you matured as a comedian — has your style of comedy changed since you first started out?

R.D.: I am a new dad, and that has changed my comedy in some ways because I care about new things. But I’m not going to pass around my baby pictures in the audience because you’re all strangers and I don’t know you. You might end up wanting to steal my baby. Then I’d have to fight you in the middle of Cat’s Cradle — one of us could get hurt.

Dive: What are you looking forward to about coming to perform in North Carolina?

R.D.: I’m excited. My wife actually went to (UNC). I know that she used to go to Cat’s Cradle shows a lot. I don’t know what she did there and I don’t want to know. We’re married now, so I don’t ask her about those things.

Dive: What kind of feedback have you generally received after shows?

R.D.: Utter gratitude. Of course, they laugh until they hurt themselves. Then, sort of a feeling of peace washes over them and they thank me. They usually embarrass themselves thanking me. They ask me to name their babies, like a village elder carrying a staff would. They even knit me hats — one woman knit me a wetsuit.

Or they might just hand me a bag of Bojangles, that too would be nice.