Always a maid, always expensive

It’s summertime in Chapel Hill, and for many couples, that means wedding season. On sunny days, the Arboretum hosts photographers eager to capture the silhouette of a bride’s dress. Kissing newlyweds pose in front of the Old Well, taking the first sip of their new lives, before proceeding to Top of the Hill for the reception. The cake they stuff in each other’s faces is, of course, from Sugarland.

If you’re one of the lucky girls who managed to snag a guy at Carolina, then this may be you (congratulations). If you’re one of the typical Carolina girls who sits at a female-filled bar thinking, “If only I could find a guy like Kendall Marshall,” then you will most likely be a bridesmaid or, worse, the maid of honor — the one who holds up the wedding dress when your friend has to pee.

Think of Katherine Heigl in the 2008 comedy “27 Dresses” — always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

As a member of a Christian sorority at UNC, I’ve seen my fair share of weddings. This summer alone, five of my sisters have tied the knot and three more have gotten engaged. This explosion of nuptials, a possible side effect of royal wedding fever (best of luck, William and Kate), comes with a hefty price tag for the friends of the bride.

Shows such as TLC’s “Say Yes to the Dress” and David Tutera’s “My Fair Wedding” teach us the utter importance of supporting your friend on her special day, while shows such as “Bridezillas” teach us that if you do not support her, she will eat your face.

Support includes the following: emotional guidance, dress advice, self-esteem boosting and lots and lots of cash. According to a study by Weddingchannel.com, the average bridesmaid will spend more than $1,500 for just one wedding.

First, there’s the bridesmaid dress. The bride will say that you can shorten it and wear it again — that is a lie. It will most likely always be inappropriate for any other occasion. There is also a good chance that it will be hideous. Second, the bridesmaid must purchase shoes, accessories and jewelry. Next, the bridesmaid pays for her hair appointment, clothes for the rehearsal dinner, nails to match a seriously unfortunately-colored dress and a silver iced tea spoon set picked out by the bride.

The maid of honor has special financial responsibilities. She must plan and host the bridal shower, which is typically a “surprise” party for the bride. The shower includes cake, cocktails, a brunch and party favors for the guests. The maid of honor is also financially responsible for the age-old tradition of taking the bride and her bridesmaids out for an evening of Chippendale dancers who “treat” the bride to special attention.

By the end of the wedding your feet ache from ill-fitted shoes, your perfectly quaffed up-do has fallen to your shoulders, you’re eating your third piece of cake (the diet starts tomorrow) and your wallet is considerably lighter. But above all, you’re happy.

The bride is glowing, and you know that one day, she will be there for you on your wedding day. Yes, being a bridesmaid is expensive. Yes, it’s a hassle. But in the end, it’s worth it.

Carlie Sorosiak is an editorial board member for The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior English and American studies major. Contact her at sorosiak@email.unc.edu.