Board of Governors approves 18 percent cut for UNC's budget

The Board of Governors’ committee on budget and finance approved a funding cut of almost 18 percent or more than $100 million for UNC-Chapel Hill during a telephone meeting Thursday morning.

The University received the largest cut among all of the UNC-system schools. The state budget that became law last month mandated that a management flexibility reduction of $414 million for the schools should not be apportioned equally across the system.

Schools with smaller enrollments and financial resources, such as UNC-Asheville and Elizabeth City State University, will absorb cuts of 11.8 percent and 9.9 percent, respectively. The committee approved a cut of 15.1 percent for N.C. State University – one of the system’s other flagship institutions.

Bruce Carney, executive vice chancellor and provost at UNC, said in an email that he will be attending a conference in Asheville this weekend with the system’s provosts. Carney said he had previously been preparing for a cut of about 15 percent.

“The cut is roughly $20 million larger than what I had been planning,” he said. “I have a lot of work to do to ascertain how to handle the 2011-2012 budget.”