CCI printing to expand this fall

Student Body President Mary Cooper’s plan to expand printing services in the face of budget cuts will likely be implemented this fall, Information Technology Services officials said.

Jeremiah Joyner, manager of ITS labs and systems, said Cooper’s plan to expand printing is feasible and will be incorporated in phases as classes start in August.

“What the platform point brought to (Information Technology Services’) attention was the fact that there’s a resource on campus that students are paying for that is not accessible to all parts of campus,” Cooper said.

Cooper said the expansion of ITS printing will begin with Graham Memorial and Phillips Hall and then move off campus into Greek housing.

While expansion in the face of cuts will go forward, the cost of printing to students will rise.

Cooper said the cost of each page will rise from 5 to 10 cents during the fall, but the change is not due to expansion plans.

“It’s not like we’re raising it to 10 cents so there can be a printer in Graham Memorial,” Cooper said. “It’s more like ITS needed to be able to fund printing projects outside of what they get from the student fees.”

Aaron Bachenheimer, interim coordinator of fraternity and sorority life, said the implementation in Greek houses will depend on each house’s cooperation in funding the project.

Each house would be responsible for buying the printer, as well as giving the Auxiliary Services division a specific wireless network to access OneCards, said Mike Freeman, director of Auxiliary Services.

During the school year, Auxiliary Services and ITS printing will begin collaborating to provide the same accessibility for student printing during budget cuts, Cooper said.

Expansion is not the only plan for making printing more accessible to students. A mobile application is being created to allow students to access the nearest printing location on campus, said Charlie Green, assistant vice chancellor for teaching and learning.

The application will include a feature showing available computers in a lab and the number of printing jobs in the queue.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.