Peace College to become coed, change its name

Alumni and students of a private women’s college in Raleigh say a decision by administrators to admit male students next fall is the last straw in a string of significant changes to the historic institution.

Administrators of Peace College, a 154-year-old private university that has traditionally only admitted women as full-time students, announced the admission policy changes this summer.

They will also change the institution’s name to William Peace University after its founder. In response to the new policies, some students and alumni organized a group called the “Preserve Peace College Campaign.”

E.V. Watson, an alumna of Peace and an active member of the group, said she has worked with dissatisfied students to organize and hold protests — the first of which occurred Monday, the first day of classes at the university.

“We are doing this to maintain the legacy of Peace College,” she said.

In a statement acknowledging the protests, Peace administrators said they remain committed to the admission policy changes.

“Please know that the decision has been made; it will not be reversed,” the statement said.

The group also created a petition to remove Debra Townsley, the new president of the school, who began serving last August.

According to the petition, Townsley has enacted a number of other changes to the school throughout the course of the past year, such as dismantling the alumni organization and eliminating a number of majors.

Members of the Board of Trustees of Peace College stated in a press release they were “still unanimously in support of Dr. Debra Townsley.”

Watson said the alumni and student protests were not allowed on campus, and instead took place near the front entrance.

“When I spoke to Raleigh police on Friday, they informed me that it is private property and that we could be arrested for going on campus,” she said.

Peace administrators said in a statement that they prohibited protests on campus after consulting the Raleigh Police Department.

Cricket McCoy, assistant director of admissions at Meredith College — one of the three remaining universities in the state that is exclusively female — said in an email Meredith remains committed to its status as a women’s college.

Watson said the protest group’s top priority is spurring a change in the school’s administration, which she said has enacted new policies without alumnae or student input.

“One of the students came up with a slogan yesterday that sums it up pretty well — ‘It’s not about the guys, it’s about the lies.”’

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.