UNC students learn about sex at ‘Sex After Dark’ event

6993_0826_sexafterdark_savagef.jpg
(l to r) Nina Vaidya, David Harmon, and Maggie Trunk won the first round of sexy bingo. Instead of yelling bingo, participants had to yell words such as penis, boobs, balls, G spot, and vulva, which were at the top of their bingo cards. CHECS counselors put on 'Sex After Dark' in the Student Union's Cabaret Thursday night. Topics covered include STIs, LGBTIQA, how to put on a condom and consent. Activities included sexy bingo, a condom relay race, polls via texting, and anonymous Q&A,

Penis, boobs, G-spot, balls and labia were not just body parts at Sex After Dark, a Week of Welcome event.

They were also the Sex Bingo team names and the words potential winners had to shout out to claim their prizes.

The event, held Thursday night in the Student Union Cabaret, drew about 120 students, all of whom were interested in learning about one thing: sex.

Most of the students who attended were female freshmen who, on average, believed about half of their friends have had sex.

The event was organized by sex health educators from Campus Health and Wellness Services, such as Meredith Kamradt, who worked the event for the third consecutive year.

“A big reason we do this is to make sure people are aware of sexual health services,” Kamradt said. “We want to look approachable, fun and interesting.”

Molly McFatrich, another coordinator, outlined the top three most important things freshmen should know about sex.

“Communication is super important, like what a partner likes, and consent,” McFatrich said. “A latex or polyisoprene barrier is good all the time to prevent sexually transmitted infections. And have fun.”

McFatrich mentioned a fun, sexy way that she has seen students at these types of events handle condoms.

“Something different is cheeking a condom, or first putting it in your mouth and then putting it on,” she said.

Before students could learn about special techniques, the organizers asked a few questions, which students answered via text message.

One question that elicited a lot of responses was “What is sex?”

Students responded with, “a connection between two bodies,” “a key in the lock” and “raw passion,” among others.

Freshman Soren Watson said he doesn’t feel awkward talking about sex. His mother is a sex therapist, so sex is nothing weird to him, he said.

“I came here to see what my peers have to say about sex,” Watson said. “There also may be something I don’t know, and free stuff is always good.”

Condoms were the main giveaway, items coordinator Diana Sanchez said students should never have to pay for.

Senior Jazmyn Gallimore also attended the event.

“I have heard about this event all of these years, so I had to finally come,” Gallimore said. “There is a lot of sex around — usually unprotected.”

Gallimore and other participants played a few games of Sex Bingo, with their Bingo cards containing the answers to sexual health questions, such as “Which sexually transmitted infections have no cure?”

After Bingo, a few brave attendees had a condom relay to see who could put a condom on a dildo the fastest.

The event also included a question and answer session.

“If I’m a female, how do I achieve an orgasm?”

Contact the University Editor

at university@dailytarheel.com.