Legislators remain unsure of how to deal with voter fraud

Recent fraud cases spark debate over voter ID bill

7084_voterid_0830_gf.jpg

Though recent cases of voter fraud in Wake County have placed a renewed focus on voting laws in the state, legislators continue to spar about the proper method for reform.

The push for voting reform began in March when Republican legislators filed the voter ID bill, known as the “Restore Confidence in Government” act, which would require voters to provide a form of state-issued photo identification at polling places.

Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue vetoed the bill in June, and the Republican majority in the N.C. House of Representatives failed to override the veto by the end of its July session.

But just weeks after Perdue vetoed the bill, four people were arrested in Wake County and accused of casting two ballots.
Three residents were accused of voting fraud in the 2008 elections and one in 2010.

Republicans say the arrests indicate voter fraud is a serious issue in North Carolina.

“I hate overplaying single incidents, but I would say that this is an example of the kind of thing that good legislation can avoid,” said Rep. Craig Horn, R-Union — a co-sponsor of the bill.

“If we all agree that the vote is the most precious of our liberties, than anything we can do to protect the sanctity of the vote is a good thing.”

Rep. Dale Folwell, R-Forsyth, said people are asked for photo identification all the time in day-to-day life, and it is only fair they present an ID when performing their most important civic function.

Democrats and voting experts say providing a photo ID at polling places would not have prevented the incidences of fraud.

Damon Circosta, executive director of the nonpartisan N.C. Center for Voter Education, said the voter ID bill would not have made the voting process more secure.

Circosta said reforms such as a real-time, Internet-based voter registration procedure or an increase in the number of fraud investigators — which he says are perpetually underfunded — would be better suited to deter voter fraud.

“We’ve already heard legislators say that this fraud wouldn’t have happened if the bill was enacted, and that’s just flat out not true,” Circosta said. “Had they showed up with the photo ID, the same thing would have happened.”

Cherie Poucher, director of elections for the Wake County Board of Elections, said there are already processes in place to guarantee the integrity of elections.

The voting fraud cases have reignited the conversation about the voter ID bill, which could be brought up again for another override vote in a special September session. A successful override vote requires three-fifths majorities in both state chambers.

If the bill is enacted, North Carolina would be the eighth state to require photo identification at a polling place.

Minority Whip Larry Hall, D-Durham, says he is leading the opposition to what he calls the “Voter ID suppression bill.”

Hall said requiring voters to provide an ID would create more congestion and confusion on voting day and criticized Republicans for a measure that would hinder voting accessibility.

“The fact is they have a solution, but they can’t find a problem, so they are creating one,” he said.

Legislators from both parties agree voting fraud is a serious crime, but disagree on the means to address it.

“Clearly any fraud is too much,” Hall said. “But at what cost?”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.