CUAB's Big K.R.I.T. concert sells few seats

Clarification (9/15/2011, 1:44 p.m.): An earlier edition of this article stated that the Carolina Union Activities Board receives more than a quarter of student fees. The group receives one-third of student activities fees, which amounts to $6.50 per student per semester or $13 per student per year. The Daily Tar Heel apologies for any confusion.

Less than one-third of the seats in the Student Union Great Hall have been sold so far for rapper Big K.R.I.T.’s concert today.

The concert — put on by the Carolina Union Activities Board — was supposed to feature both Big K.R.I.T. and fellow rapper Curren$y before he broke his ankle jumping off a stage in Los Angeles.

Austin Gold, box office manager for the Union, said only 163 of 700 available tickets have been purchased for the show.

Last spring’s Big Boi concert in Memorial Hall sold more than half of its 1,434 tickets within half a day.

“We’re not at capacity yet,” Gold said.

Marquise Hudson, performing arts chairman for CUAB, said he found out that Curren$y would not be performing Sept. 7 — a week before the show.

Kinsey Sullivan, music chairwoman for CUAB, said the short notice made it almost impossible to replace the rapper.

Because Curren$y was never paid by CUAB, the concert will cost about $7,500, Hudson said.

All CUAB activities are funded by one-third of student activities fees, or $13 per student per year. The group aims to use its money for campus enrichment and rarely makes a profit.

CUAB’s first show of the year — a concert featuring local folk bands Mandolin Orange and Mipso Trio — was rained out, making this concert the first of the academic year.

Hudson said Big K.R.I.T. was one of his top choices for a fall concert.

Sullivan said she was excited for Big K.R.I.T. to come to campus as a rising artist in the American hip-hop scene.

“We really like getting artists that are fresh and new and have a lot of excitement around them,” she said. “Big K.R.I.T. is popular, talented and I think it is worth it seeing a show at this point in his career.”

Sullivan said they try to incorporate variety in planning CUAB concerts for the year.

“We like to bring different artists that cater to different student tastes,” she said.

Tickets will be available at the door for $7, and Sullivan said she expects many students to buy tickets just before the show.

Before Curren$y’s injury caused him to drop out, CUAB sold tickets for $12. Early buyers can be reimbursed by the box office for either full ticket price or the $5 difference.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@dailytarheel.com.