Chapel Hill named Bronze Bicycle-friendly Business

Chapel Hill joined a diverse group of town governments, stores, restaurants and other businesses named as bicycle-friendly businesses by the League of American Bicyclists this month.

The league has designated Chapel Hill a 2011 “Bronze Bicycle Friendly Business.”

“We were delighted that our business, the town of Chapel Hill, offered and encouraged employees to use bicycles and qualified for the BFB award,” said Len Cone, transportation demand management coordinator for Chapel Hill.

The town government has launched efforts to promote bicycle use for transportation and recreation, including wellness programs that offer prizes for employees who commute by bicycle.

Chapel Hill also provides training workshops, bicycle rodeos and informational handouts on bicycling safety.

“There is a company fleet of bikes for employees to check out for weekday and weekend riding,” said Alison Dewey, the league’s program specialist for bicycle-friendly communities.

The town also has bicycle lanes and bicycle maps for residents, she said.

Andy Clarke, the president of the League of American Bicyclists, said Chapel Hill still has room for improvement.

“The biggest change has to be made on the street,” he said. “Chapel Hill could be more bicycle friendly if they add more bike lanes and infrastructure on the street.”

Cyclists from around Chapel Hill meet on a regular basis to brainstorm ways to increase bicycle use and safety, Cone said.

“The town is always watchful for opportunities to encourage the installation of bike racks and bike lanes throughout the area,” she said.

“Road users that have greater power should exercise greater responsibility,” he said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.