Chapel Hill recognized for its tree canopy-saving efforts

Photo: Chapel Hill recognized for its tree canopy-saving efforts (Helin Park)
Protected trees in the upper quad and the arboretum

Chapel Hill’s newly revised tree canopy standards have brought the town more than shade.

Earlier this month, the N.C. Forest Service gave Chapel Hill the “Outstanding Project Merit Award” for revising its 20-year-old tree protection ordinance.

The Urban Forestry Awards Program recognizes communities, organizations and individuals for protecting and enhancing city forests, according to its website.

Jennifer Rall, urban forestry program assistant, said parts of Chapel Hill’s revised ordinance for foliage protection stood out to judges.

Discussions for the revised ordinance began in 2007, the Chapel Hill Town Council enacted it in December 2010 and it went into effect this March.

The new ordinance requires developments to fulfill a minimum proportion of canopy coverage.

Rall, administrator of the awards program and one of four judges, said the ordinance requires a follow-up a year after enactment, setting it apart.

“It’s important that someone goes back to check if the ordinance is doing what it’s supposed to do,” she said.

Rall said while she welcomes urbanization, she doesn’t approve of the way trees are afterthoughts in many large developments.

“A tree should be considered as a piece of infrastructure just like sidewalks and buildings,” Rall said.

Emily Cameron, a landscape architect for the town’s Public Works department, said another winning factor was the three-year ordinance revision process, which allowed for direct public input.

Arborists, civil engineers and neighborhood groups were asked to be involved in information sessions and the public hearing.

Chapel Hill has a long history of protecting trees, Cameron said.

In 1990, the town was one of the first communities in North Carolina to adopt a tree-protection ordinance.

Chapel Hill has been recognized 12 times as a Tree City USA. To become one, a city must meet four criteria set by the Arbor Day Foundation.

The town’s tree protection ordinance doesn’t apply to the University’s campus.

But Tom Bythell, the University forest manager, said the work by campus tree crews is comparable to the town’s.

The University has a long commitment to the protection of the urban forest, he said.

Bythell said there’s been a University arborist since the early ’70s .

“Trees are extremely important from an energy-saving perspective,” Bythell said.

If the campus were clear of trees, it could be 10 to 15 degrees warmer, he said.

Cameron also said tree shade can enhance property value.

“In the summertime, everyone welcomes the shade on the street,” she said.

The Town of Garner’s White Deer Park won the Outstanding Project Grand Award from the program.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.