Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools hosts college fair at Smith Center

Jason Son, 17, talks to Kendra Lawrence, an assistant director at the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the CCHCS College Fair.  Jason hopes to attend UNC-Chapel Hill.
Jason Son, 17, talks to Kendra Lawrence, an assistant director at the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the CCHCS College Fair. Jason hopes to attend UNC-Chapel Hill.

Some Chapel Hill area high school students are Tar Heel born and bred.

But others need a little more information before making the decision.

At a Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools-organized college fair in the Dean Smith Center Tuesday night, area students interacted with college representatives and recruiters.

Robin Gallaher, career development coordinator for Carrboro High School, said the fair helped students who couldn’t make college visits get information.

“There are many students who are not able financially to visit certain schools so it gives the parents and students a chance to start a conversation within the home,” Gallaher said. “It’s a good way to compare.”

Most of the representatives were from N.C. colleges and universities, but those from out-of-state schools also attended.
Gallaher said because UNC is so highly ranked, area students often feel pressure to attend or at least apply.

Mohammed Hedadji, a junior at East Chapel Hill High School, said though he wants to leave the state for college, he has felt that pressure.

“There’s a lot of competition,” he said. “Even if you’re not interested in UNC, you have to at least give it a look because coming from around here, everyone’s so excited about it.”

Fatima Hedadji, Mohammed’s sister and a senior at East Chapel Hill High School, said UNC is her first choice because of its affordability.

She said she is staying in-state, and came to the fair to ask representatives from her top choices some specific questions.

“I think within the community, the fact that we hear so much about UNC is the pressure to come but for the students sometimes the pressure is to go away,” she said.

Stephanie Knott, spokeswoman for CHCCS, said though the fair was located in the Smith Center it did not show a bias toward UNC.

“I don’t know that UNC can cater to CHCCS students in the admissions process, as the University has a mission and responsibility to serve students from across the state,” Knott said. “The district and the University enjoy a number of partnerships, however, and our history is intertwined.”

Some students said they felt, but avoided, pressure to attend UNC.

“There’s a lot of pressure, but I feel UNC might not be the right choice for me,” said Brandon Davis, a senior at Orange High School.

Adriana Langley, a senior at Middle College High School at Durham Technical Community College, said she had a desire to get away, specifically to a city.

Langley said her first choice for college is New York University.
“I want to get away from North Carolina,” she said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.