Consider Withers: The interim head coach deserves consideration once the season ends

After Saturday’s season-opening win against James Madison University, interim head football coach Everett Withers gave partial credit to his predecessor Butch Davis.

Though deserved, that credit should shift more and more toward Withers as the season progresses. And if he keeps winning, Withers should be given proper attention in the search for a full-time replacement.

At least for the first game, it appears that Withers has successfully blocked out all off-the-field distractions and set in motion a season that could again prove dramatic — but for the right reasons.

The University’s goal in hiring the next head coach should be to rebuild the program in the right way. The program needs to recruit players who exude academic integrity as well as athletic prowess.

Davis built the program into one full of talented football players.

But after all the off-the-field issues with agents and tutors, it was clear the program was not heading in the right direction, even with its rise into the national spotlight. Withers is in a position to build on Davis’ successes — and amend his failures.

UNC is fortunate to have had such a qualified and effective leader in waiting. After the trials of this season are finished and the community pauses to reflect, Withers deserves a fair shot at the job.
That will be especially true if he continues winning, both on and off the field.