Misplaced priorities: Speaker pro tempore Kristen Johnson should resign immediately.

Kristen Johnson is setting quite the example as speaker pro tempore of Student Congress. After being elected last spring to represent District 7, Johnson moved to Granville Towers in District 4, where she decided a paying job as resident adviser superseded her obligation to her constituents in Baity Hill, Odum Village and Ram Village.

Her conduct represents an unethical and flagrant violation of the Student Code’s intent. This code governs Student Congress, an institution that has historically rendered itself moot with arcane infighting.

Johnson’s misplaced residency ultimately has little bearing on her job performance. Even so, Johnson, as Student Congress’ second highest ranking member, must be held to a higher ethical standard. Johnson has demonstrated in the past that she can be an effective representative, but she must participate from a legitimate elected position.

The Granville Towers district is one that has become known for its frequent turnover. If history repeats itself and an empty seat emerges, Johnson should campaign for it.

Until then, Johnson should remove herself from Student Congress. With its next general body meeting scheduled for tonight, she should take the opportunity to resign as quickly as possible to allow for a special election in her district and for the speaker pro tempore.

Her resignation would yield very little impact outside of the symbolic. But Student Congress deserves a better leader — and so does her district.