Governor’s School could see state funding in future

Supporters of the state’s Governor’s School program have been raising private funds to support it since June — but they might not have to do so for long.

Recent comments by House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, have opened a window of hope for the program’s future.

State funding for the program was eliminated in June. But Tillis said during a Sept. 20 town hall event that he would be open to hearing from advocates of the program during the legislature’s spring session. Depending on the pitch, Tillis said he isn’t opposed to reinstating the program’s funding.

Governor’s School is a six-week summer residential program for gifted high school students.

The program was free for students until 2010, when a $500 tuition charge was added.

After the state budget, which was enacted in June, eliminated funding for the program, Governor’s School alumni began a private fundraising effort in hopes of raising enough money to continue the program.

They have raised more than $240,000 of the $550,000 needed to open one of the program’s two campuses for summer 2012.

Alumni say they hope to raise $1 million in order to open both campuses.

David Winslow, an alumnus who is coordinating fundraising efforts, said Tillis’ remarks have helped the group’s efforts.

“Many of the larger prospective donors are nervous about giving to something that might not last past next year,” Winslow said in an email. “(Tillis’) comments strengthen the case that their one time gift will bridge the gap to when state funding can be restored.”

Despite cuts to the program, administrators have already proceeded with the summer 2012 application process — they began distributing nomination packets to high schools this week.

If the General Assembly does return funding for Governor’s School, it would cover the program for summer 2013. Private funds would still be needed to fund the 2012 session.

“Speaker Tillis’ remarks were really encouraging, but they are by no means definitive,” Winslow said. “They would indicate we still have a lot of work to do.”

Roice Fulton, president of the N.C. Governor’s School Foundation, said he is excited for the opportunity to present a case to restore state funding to the Governor’s School, which he said costs the state less than some of its other programs.

“We produce so much in terms of benefits for the state,” Fulton said about the program.

Fulton is leading an effort to mobilize alumni to continue attending other town halls, lobbying legislators to fund the Governor’s School and fundraising.

“It’s refreshing that someone involved in such drastic cuts to the budget has been so forthcoming in terms of how painful these cuts were,” Fulton said.

“We’re going to make sure our supporters know exactly what Speaker Tillis is offering here.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.