Inexperienced Renner has big shoes to ?ll

In four years as North Carolina’s starting quarterback, T.J. Yates passed for a school record 9,377 yards and 58 touchdowns.

Redshirt sophomore Bryn Renner, his heir apparent for the 2011 season, has a career stat line of 1-for-2 for 14 yards.

“I’ve had a tremendous amount of reps over the past three years that I’ve been here, so I think that’s helped me out a lot,” Renner said.

“Granted I’ve only thrown two passes, but I really think those practice reps really count to me, and they matter. I view them as game reps because I go full speed and everyone else does, too.
“In hindsight, yes, I would have liked to have gotten in, but sitting back these past two years, I feel like a veteran even though I haven’t played yet.”

Practice reps are all Renner has to go on as he enters the season as the most highly anticipated North Carolina quarterback to debut since Darian Durant in 2001.

Former UNC football coach Butch Davis bemoaned that Renner didn’t get enough snaps in games and admitted after the 42-17 spanking of East Carolina that he wished Renner got more playing time.

Nonetheless, Renner seems ready to assume the throne at quarterback this season. He almost has to be.

Backing Renner up are junior Braden Hanson and freshman Marquise Williams. Hanson saw action during Renner’s redshirt season but had as many completions (two) as interceptions.

“Bryn Renner has been a guy that you can see him growing every day. And not just football, but just leadership skills — with the offense, with the defense,” interim head coach Everett Withers said.

“He’s just one of those guys that everybody on the team likes. And we’re going to need that from him.”

North Carolina fans will see a different style of quarterback than what they were acquainted with for four years in Yates. Renner is faster and more agile than Yates and will likely be able to create more outside the pocket.

But despite that difference, he took a lot of notes while watching Yates perform on the field.

“We’re still in contact right now. He’s just still helping me, we’re talking each other through things, and he’s a great friend,” Renner said. “The things I learned from him most were how to prepare — how to get your body and get your mind ready for a 12-game season. And it’s a long haul. And everyone knows that.”

Senior wide receiver Dwight Jones will be Renner’s No. 1 target this season after Jones’ breakout junior year saw him finish with 62 receptions for 946 yards.

“When (Renner) first came here, he was a very fiery guy. But that’s just his nature, his personality,” Jones said. “I don’t think it’s really changed, but I think it’s calmed down a little bit, just his demeanor. But it’s good to have a fiery quarterback like that … it pumps me up too.”

Contact the Sports Editor
at sports@dailytarheel.com.