ITS implements stricter file sharing policy

Students who download music illegally beware: administrative policy no longer includes a slap on the wrist.

For years, Information Technology Services has been responsible for policing peer-to-peer software and copyright infringement on campus.

But this semester, ITS has implemented a policy that puts full responsibility on the student, and could land software abusers in trouble with campus administration for a first offense.

The new policy — called “hall pass” — replaces the previous system in which ITS employees met with offenders and gave a warning about illegal actions conducted via peer-to-peer file-sharing software on the network. A second offense resulted in a disciplinary meeting with an administrator.

According to the policy, before being granted access to the UNC network, users with peer-to-peer software, such as Limewire, have to either uninstall the programs or accept “hall pass” conditions, promising legal compliance.

If, after accepting these conditions, a student abuses the software and a complaint is filed by a copyright holder, the student in question will be directed straight into UNC’s disciplinary channels.

Music and movie downloads are the most common illegal uses of file-sharing software, a problem that has persisted for a decade.

“We don’t want to be the police,” said Larry Conrad, vice chancellor for information technology. “We want to communicate to members of the community how to be successful, to stay out of trouble.”

He added that the previous system was a waste of resources and time for the ITS staff.

Since the implementation of “hall pass” at the beginning of the semester, the majority of people with file sharing software have uninstalled it, said Chris Williams, ResNET program director.

“Statistically speaking, 97 percent of students just remove the software,” Williams said.

Jim Gogan, director of networking for ITS, said only 24 students agreed to the “hall pass.”

“We prefer you do not run the software,” said Stan Waddell, executive director for information security in ITS.

The new program is a feature of the Network Access Control, or NAC, which is connected to the UNC network and searches all user devices for protective software, available updates and, now, peer-to-peer software.

“What it did originally was look to make sure that your computer was up to date,” Gogan said.

Now, he said, the program is an enforcer of copyright laws campuswide. If NAC detects peer-to-peer software, users will be prompted to a page with information about copyright laws and consequences.

The idea for “hall pass” was born out of a need for a more efficient system. “This is a proactive approach to keep students from hurting themselves,” Williams said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.