Lazy Larry cakes questioned by FDA

7431_0923_lazycakes_wallf.jpg
A "Wownie," a brownie containing valerian root and melatonin, and a "Hippie Chip," a chocolate chip cookie containing valerian root and griffonia simplicifolia (a derivative of tryptophan), are two of the several relaxation products coming out in stores like Expressions on Rosemary Street in Chapel Hill.

A new dessert food sold in Chapel Hill has fueled controversy because of a possibly unsafe additive.

Lazy Larry cakes, named for the melatonin added to the brownies’ mix, are marketed as an adult dietary supplement but could be banned by the Food and Drug Administration.

Expressions, a local shop on Franklin Street specializing in tobacco products, has completely sold out of the brownies because of their popularity among residents.

Cavielle Williamson, a sales representative, said the cakes have a varied clientele.

“I haven’t seen a specific sect of people buying the brownies,” she said.

The Baked World company makes the cakes and was created by Memphis native Terry Harris. Harris’ website describes the brownies as the “ultimate relaxation snack.”

The company recommends that children refrain from consuming Lazy Larry cakes, and the FDA has not granted approval to the company for snack production.

The FDA has sent a warning letter to the company stating that the snack is dangerous and could be banned, said Douglas Karas, an FDA spokesman.

Karas said that melatonin is not approved as a food additive or as a food in the “generally recognized as safe” category by the administration.

“Any item that uses melatonin as an additive may be subject to regulatory action,” Karas said.

He said manufacturers must use ingredients that are pre-approved as food additives.

While other authorities can determine a product’s safety, it remains subject to FDA scrutiny.

Karas said melatonin, which is found naturally in small amounts in meats, fruits and vegetables, cannot be included in foods marketed with other snacks.

Melatonin, which can be purchased as a supplement, is a hormone made by a small gland in the brain that controls sleep and wake cycles.

The Arkansas Health Department decided to ban the snacks in May, but the FDA’s case is still ongoing and the product continues to sell locally.

If the cakes are banned, the product could be seized, according to an FDA letter to the company.

Williamson said most of her customers are surprised that such a product is readily available, but they are willing to try it because of the novelty of the ingredient.

But some students said they worry about the cakes’ health effects.

Portia Nleya, a junior biology major at UNC, said that the production of melatonin should be left to the brain.

“The FDA doesn’t approve these things because they’re not necessary,” Nleya said. “If you’re an adult who needs melatonin for sleeping problems, you should take it in its purest form.”

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com.