Local schools locked down in response to domestic violence threat

Local police put Frank Porter Graham Elementary School, Carrboro High School and Culbreth Middle School on lock-down between roughly 9:30 and 10 a.m. this morning, said Lt. Kevin Gunter, spokesman for Chapel Hill police.

Gunter said Chapel Hill police responded to the three locations in response to a threat of domestic violence. He said an estranged husband was perceived to be a threat to his wife, who worked at one of the schools, and their children, who attended the two other schools.

“It’s my understanding that the female party actually works at one of these locations, and the other schools have children in common,” Gunter said.

He said details are just coming in, and he is not sure which parties worked at and attended which schools.

The UNC Department of Public Safety responded to the situation at Frank Porter Graham Elementary on Smith Level Road in Chapel Hill, and Orange County police also assisted Chapel Hill police. He said he believes Carrboro police might have also been involved.

He said the lock-downs were a safety precaution, but police believe the estranged husband is no longer in the area.

“It’s still under investigation,” he said. “There is no apparent threat, but we are still looking into the matter.

Randy Young, DPS spokesman, said Chapel Hill police primarily handled the case and he could share little information.

“I do know that they disvalidated the threat at the level that they were originally looking at,” he said.