Man arrested in connection with Glen Lennox peeping

7312_0916_alemanhernandez_tnailf.jpg

Aleman Hernandez

Chapel Hill police have charged Antonio Aleman-Hernandez, 23, of Hamilton Road, with four counts of secret peeping and one count of attempted breaking and entering.

Aleman-Hernandez is being held in Orange County Jail on a $10,000 bond, according to a police report.

During the past months, Glen Lennox residents have reported that a man has looked into their windows and scratched on their doors, prompting police to increase patrols in the area.

Sgt. Josh Mecimore, Chapel Hill police information sergeant, said extra monitoring of the area brought about the arrest.

“The arrest was made after a peeping call last night where officers were in the area,” he said.

Police arrested Aleman-Hernandez at 132 Hamilton Rd. at 12:33 a.m. Thursday, according to Chapel Hill police reports.

An incident in which someone knocked at a window and spoke to the resident was reported at 127 Hamilton Rd. at 11:32 p.m., according to reports.

Aleman-Hernandez was also charged with peeping on Hamilton Road in January, according to police reports.

Mecimore said though Aleman-Hernandez has been charged with four counts of peeping this time, he might be linked to at least six incidents that have recently been reported.

He said even more peeping incidents might have taken place but been classed as suspicious person reports.

Mecimore said most of the incidents occurred between 10:30 p.m. and midnight.

He said all of the reports were by women, and some of them reported the individual approaching the house.

“What his intent was, I’m not sure,” he said.

Mecimore said it is important to stop peepers early on.

“People who do that tend to progressively get more brazen as they go,” he said.

He said this is not the first time a peeper has been an issue in the area, but that peeping is not a regular problem in Chapel Hill.

Glen Lennox residents said they are relieved that someone has been arrested in connection with the incidents.

“It made me really nervous,” said Amanda Sobnosky, a UNC senior and Glen Lennox resident.

But one of her roommates, senior Ashley Andersen, said she wasn’t concerned.

“It’s pretty innocent as far as crimes go,” she said. “It’s just a funny crime, he’s not doing anything to anybody.”

Mecimore said peeping is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

He said it would be difficult to guess what Aleman-Hernandez will be facing if he is convicted.

Each charge could carry a punishment of one to 45 days of community service or jail time if it leads to a conviction, he said.

But he added that the investigation is ongoing, and North Carolina has a misdemeanor plan that makes it difficult to guess punishment, so it’s too early to tell.

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com.