UNC hires Carr Sports Associates to assist in AD search

UNC has hired Florida-based Carr Sports Associates Inc. to assist in the search for a new athletic director to replace Dick Baddour.

Carr Sports will receive $40,000 as compensation for its services. The contract — finalized Aug. 30 — includes provisions to reimburse Carr Sports for expenses associated with the search. UNC will use non-state funds to pay the firm.

Bill Carr will be the firm’s principal representative for the search. A University of Florida graduate, Carr was named director of athletics there in 1979 at the age of 33, at the time the youngest Division I athletic director in the country. He is now in his 16th year providing consultant and executive search services.

Chancellor Holden Thorp selected Carr Sports after a review by the 13-member search committee he appointed in August to lead the athletic director search. The committee first met Aug. 26 when members heard presentations from two national search firms.

“We are very pleased to join with Bill Carr and his associates to help the committee start fulfilling its assignment — to find the very best person with outstanding athletic administration credentials to become our next athletic director,” search committee chairman Lowry Caudill said in a press release issued today.

The new athletic director’s first major assignment will be to hire UNC’s permanent head football coach.