UNC Greeks see new leader in Aaron Bachenheimer

Aaron Bachenheimer wants to emphasize a full college experience to the Greek system’s newest members from the very start.

A stronger orientation is one part of the new director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life’s vision for the system.
Bachenheimer, who was named director of the office at the end of September, said he has two goals he hopes to achieve in his new position.

His first priority is to provide Greek students with advising and tutoring options to keep a strong emphasis on academics.
“The fraternities and sororities have been really receptive to our advising and education,” he said.

The other main idea is a more substantial orientation program, which will make sure new members become well-rounded students.
Bachenheimer has served as interim coordinator for fraternity and sorority life since February.

Dean Blackburn, assistant dean of students, said Bachenheimer earned the promotion.

“After looking through all the applications, Aaron’s came out on top,” he said. “He knows the campus, he knows the students and he knows how to do the job well.”

Bachenheimer replaced former coordinator Kayte Fry in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Lindsey Stephens, president of the Panhellenic Council, said while Fry had more experience with the University’s Greek system, Bachenheimer was eager to learn and has worked well with the office’s programs.

“Aaron has a great understanding of his role and is always willing to offer his advice and suggestions,” she said.

Bachenheimer said he plans to fill three coordinator positions before he makes any further plans for the Greek system’s future.

Once new staff members are hired, Bachenheimer said he plans to work with staff, students, alumni and advisers to come up with a strategic plan for the future.

Bachenheimer completed his undergraduate degree in communication studies at Appalachian State University, where he was a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity.

Before coming to UNC, Bachenheimer served as the assistant director of organizational leadership education — which oversees Greek life — for five years at Appalachian State.

“Personally and professionally, my life has been about students, student leadership and student success for the better part of the last 10 years,” Bachenheimer said.

Brent Macon, president of the Interfraternity Council, said Bachenheimer is hard-working and easy to get along with.

“It will be exciting to see the things he will be able to accomplish.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.