Fragile States event focuses on UN peacekeeping, global security

7587_1005_fragilestates_williamsf.jpg
Charles Green, the co-chair of the West Triangle Chapter of the United Nation introduces Tuesday night's film, "Fragile States and Global Consequences." The evening was sponsored in part by the student United Nations Organization at UNC. The event includes a movie showing on the dangers of already unstable nations in jeopardy of failure including Haiti, the Republic of Congo, Bosnia and East Timor.

About 100 people turned out to the FedEx Global Education Center on Tuesday night to learn how unstable nations are threatening the world’s security.

The event — Fragile States, Global Consequences — was hosted by the West Triangle Chapter of the United Nations Association and featured a short film and a lecture given by Charles Green.

Green is a board member and former president of the chapter.

The event, which promoted the support of local and international humanitarian efforts, was the biggest of the year for the chapter.

Green discussed what constitutes a fragile state and what the rest of the world can do to help these struggling nations at the event.

“Basically, we are here to promote the United Nations as well as encourage peacekeeping operations,” Green said.

The focus of the event was on corrupt nations — which Green characterized as fragile states — as nations that rely on help from the UN to maintain a peaceful existence.

Green said in most cases, these states are characterized by weak governments and a war-torn population.

He said these problems usually lead to poor infrastructures, internal conflict, poverty, ethnic tension and economic despair.

The short film shown at the event, “Fragile States, Global Consequences,” emphasized the UN’s peacekeeping efforts in these fragile nations.

According to the film, there are 115 different countries involved in the UN’s 15 worldwide peacekeeping operations. The UN is currently spending more than $7 billion to help the fragile states.

Senior Louise Beazor, an exchange student from England, said she came to the event after hearing about it in an international studies class.

“We came to get a better global view,” Beazor said.

“Our classes are very Americanized and this gives us a different approach.”

Tegan Miller, a senior Australian exchange student, attended the event with Beazor.

“We wanted a better understanding of what fragile states are, and why they are a global issue today,” Miller said.

Green said international security and safety are being threatened by these unstable countries more now than ever.

He said in past decades, the biggest threat to global unrest has been the powerful nations’ attempt to control fragile states.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.