GPSF discusses gender-neutral housing, fee increases

The Graduate and Professional Student Federation voted to support a gender-neutral housing initiative Tuesday night and debated the merits of student fee increases.

GPSF passed a resolution to offer symbolic support of gender-neutral housing, following a similar vote from Student Congress last week.

The move demonstrates GPSF’s commitment to sentiments shared by both the graduate and undergraduate student bodies, said the body’s Vice President of Internal Affairs Kara Parsons.

Jim Grinias, GPSF secretary, said supporting the resolution is just another way for GPSF to support popular University trends.

Members said more than 250 students have expressed interest in living in gender-neutral housing and more than 800 signatures have been gathered to support it.

Under Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Center recommendations, gender non-specific housing would expand the degree of choice for students, according to the group’s proposal to pass the resolution.

Members said the Department of Housing and Residential Education has dealt with bullying in the past, and gender-neutral housing could potentially minimize intimidation by providing an alternative way of living.

Supporters of the general proposal will present it to Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp on Friday.

Members also discussed student fee increases for upcoming years. The primary sources of concern for members were the athletic and transit fees.

The athletic fee request was motivated by the elimination of the tuition waiver for out-of-state student athletes, and would increase funding for Olympic sport programs and meet scholarship requirements.

The fee would increase by $100 to $374.50 — 36 percent — for undergraduate and graduate students.

The increase in the transit fee also inspired debate. The increase has been proposed to fill a $1.5 million shortfall in transit fees collected and transit expenses.

The increase for undergraduate and graduate students would raise their fee by 13 percent.

GPSF Chief of Staff Michael Bertucci said UNC’s Department of Public Safety is lacking funds.

“The department of safety is way in the red,” he said.

GPSF plans to propose a limit to the increase in transit fees in the upcoming fiscal year, members said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.