Information Technology Services may renovate more UNC libraries

More free space and more Apple computers are coming to the Undergraduate Library, and those changes could soon spread to other campus libraries.

Administrators used feedback from other recent renovations on campus in deciding on the updates to the Undergraduate Library.

Information Technology Services received positive feedback from students after renovating the Student and Academic Services Buildings’ computer lab in 2010, removing computers to allow open study space.

The Undergraduate Library’s renovations will follow a plan similar to the one ITS used for SASB, said Larry Conrad, vice chancellor for information technology and the University’s chief information officer.

“Now is a good time to rethink the concept of what a computer lab should be,” Conrad said.

Thirty of the 70 computers in the Undergraduate Library’s basement will remain after fall break. New seating — made up of more comfortable furniture — will fill the extra space.

“There is more focus on creating a ‘learning space,’ a space with technology that better supports different learning styles and teamwork, and then there’s the budget,” Conrad said.

He said student usage of the SASB lab doubled after the space was remodeled.

Renovations to other parts of campus in the future are possible due to a growing relationship between ITS and UNC Libraries, Conrad said.

Jeremiah Joyner, manager of ITS Labs and Systems, said computer resources and student fee revenue will be divided between ITS and UNC Libraries for future renovation projects due to budgetary restraints.

Joyner said the Health Sciences Library is next on the renovation list for ITS and UNC Libraries.

Conrad said he expects a formal announcement regarding changes to the Health Sciences Library to be made in the spring.

Discussion has also begun about renovations to Davis Library, he said.

According to recent surveys and the reaction to the transformation of SASB, students generally prefer study space to computers, Joyner said.

He added that student feedback is collected through the Student Technology Advisory Board, a committee of the executive branch of student government.

Some students said the changes would be welcome.

“I never use the computers, but sometimes I go and can’t find a place to sit,” freshman Annie Poole said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.