Men’s basketball ticket policy revised

Photo: Men’s basketball ticket policy revised (Meredith Hamrick)

Student fans cheer during a men’s basketball game last year.

In an effort to increase student attendance at men’s basketball games, the Carolina Athletic Association and the UNC Ticket Office released a set of changes to the policy in an email to students Friday.

The changes were less dramatic than for the 2010-11 season, including changes to the sign-up and return procedures.

The ticketing policy changes will affect all games starting Jan. 7, except the one against Duke.

The game against University of Wisconsin on Nov. 30 will also function as a lottery game.

Other games before Jan. 7 are considered “break” games, which students can attend by presenting a One Card to the Ticket Office.

For more information on the policy, students can follow the Ticket Office on Twitter ?@UNCStudentTix.

If you want tickets:

Students will register for one lottery game at a time instead of in monthly blocks.

Students can register for a lottery game 10 days in advance.

There will be a 48- to 72-hour sign-up period.

Notification emails will be sent five to seven days before the game.

Each student winning the lottery will receive two tickets, a continuation from last year.

If you can’t use them:

Notification emails will include a link to instantly return tickets. Last season, students had to email their unwanted tickets back to the CAA.

Students who give back tickets or go to stand-by lines at home games will have a chance to win a prize.

CAA President Caitlin Goforth wrote in an email that possible prizes include gift cards, UNC apparel and Phase One basketball tickets for an ACC home game.

If you don’t get tickets:

Returned tickets will be available in a “turn it back” line one day before the game.

Students can also wait in a standby line on game day.

“Even last season, everyone who came to the standby line got into every game,” Goforth said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.