Miami football to bring ‘speed and explosiveness’ vs. UNC

When North Carolina has the ball

When Miami comes to Chapel Hill on Saturday, it will face a team not much different than itself.

Like North Carolina, the Hurricanes have been held under a cloud of NCAA scandal.

The Miami football program was placed under scrutiny in August when it was reported that booster Nevin Shapiro provided illegal benefits to players.

Eight Hurricanes missed at least one game to suspension this season, reminiscent of when 13 Tar Heels faced suspensions a year ago.

But the similarities extend to the field, too.

“You look at what they do on defense, it’s very similar to what we do on defense,” interim head coach Everett Withers said. “Their mindset on offense is a lot like ours — running the football, trying to take care of the quarterback.”

The Hurricanes will run a 4-3 defense that is anchored by linebacker Sean Spence. Spence amasses more than 10 tackles a game and has two sacks on the year.

Miami’s football program has consistently been one of the most athletic in the nation, and this year’s team is no different.

“They bring speed and explosiveness to the table,” UNC quarterback Bryn Renner said. “They have a lot of speed.”

Miami’s offense is led by tailback Lamar Miller. Miller, who leads the ACC in rushing with 135.4 yards per game, will likely pressure the Tar Heel front seven to limit his impact and get off the field.

“They do a good job of running the football inside,” Withers said.

“(Miller is) a hard-nosed runner. It’s going to be a little bit more of a downhill scheme this week, so we’ve got to do a good job up front of fitting gaps and tackling well.”

Miller is complemented by quarterback Jacory Harris. Harris, who played in 10 of the Hurricanes’ 13 games last season, can be dangerous with his legs but has focused more on throwing the ball this year.

The senior signal-caller is second in the ACC in pass efficiency, trailing only Renner.

Despite their athleticism across the field, the Hurricanes have managed just a 2-3 record so far in head coach Al Golden’s first season.

But Withers knows the difficulties that come as a first-year coach in a program and knows that the Hurricanes could be on the verge of breaking out.

“New coach, new staff, new philosophy,” Withers said. “It takes a little time, especially with the other stuff they’re going through. They have a lot of talent.”

Contact the Sports Editor