MillerCoors CEO speaks to UNC students about beer industry

Beer makers have to develop more diverse flavors and brands to keep up with changing demands, the CEO of MillerCoors told a crowd of more than 200 people Monday.

UNC alumnus Tom Long, who visited Kenan-Flagler Business School as part of the Dean’s Speaker Series discussed the recent evolution of the beer industry.

Long emphasized the opportunities and changes currently taking place in the beer market.

The average American drinks a much larger variety of beers than he or she has in the past, Long said.

“A big part of growth in America is the change in demographics,” he said.

Long said that, for this reason, targeting Hispanic populations is becoming increasingly important.

Miller and Coors Brewing Companies merged in 2008, but Long became CEO of the merged outfit earlier this year.

He served as the president and CEO of Miller Brewing Company from 2006 until 2008.

The company’s brands include Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, Coors, Coors Light, Peroni and Blue Moon.

Long said the two brewing companies merged to better compete with rival breweries.

“Had we not merged, we would have been in real trouble,” he said.

Long showed old and new advertisements to highlight marketing changes that have occurred since the companies merged.

Freshman Angela Shenouda said she attended the event as an English class requirement.

“I thought he had a good sense of humor and knew how to connect with the audience,” Shenouda said.

The Dean’s Speaker Series has been hosting business executives on campus for more than 20 years, said Heather Havenstein, director of public relations and new media for the business school.

Former speakers include the vice president and treasurer of Google and the chairman and CEO of Johnson & Johnson.

Havenstein said all Dean’s Speaker Series guests, including Long, appear at no charge to the University.

Long studied English at UNC as an undergraduate and received his master’s degree from Harvard Business School.

Prior to working in the beer industry, Long served 17 years with Coca-Cola.

His daughters, Stewart and Rawlings Long, are currently UNC students.

At the event, Long reflected on his time as a UNC student and shared advice with current students.

“Stay flexible — learn,” he said. “No matter how much you plan, stay loose.”

One audience member asked Long if he saw the growing wine industry as a potential threat.

Long said he’s not concerned.

People who have money to blow are the ones that invest in wine, he said.

“Wine is, like, the worst business possible.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.