More sexual assaults reported in 2010

The latest campus crime statistics released by the University show the number of reported sexual assault cases on campus nearly tripled in 2010.

But officials say the spike doesn’t necessarily translate to an increase in crime.

Instead, they said they find the numbers encouraging because it means more students feel comfortable in reporting sexual assault cases, said Bob Pleasants, interpersonal violence prevention coordinator for Campus Health Services.

The 2011 security report — which was sent in an email to all students Sept. 30 — states there were six reported sexual assaults in 2009 and 17 reported sexual assaults in 2010.

Pleasants said administrators have been working actively to make the process of reporting such crimes easier for students.

In 2010, the Department of Public Safety began emphasizing to students that they could file reports to campus police without following through with charges or a formal investigation, unless there was an imminent threat to campus, he said.

Pleasants said there are many students who come into Counseling and Wellness Services who do not go to DPS.

“Sometimes students just need medical attention and counseling but have no desire to press charges,” Pleasants said.

Sexual misconduct is treated like all other forms of student crime in the eyes of the student-led honor system.

Student Attorney General Jon McCay said the number of sexual assaults reported is much higher than those that are prosecuted through the university’s honor system.

McCay wrote in an email that the honor system has dealt with four cases of sexual misconduct since January.

Dean of Students Jonathan Sauls said it is difficult to quantify the problem of sexual assaults at the University.

“I don’t know if there is a number that can accurately represent what’s happening on campus,” Sauls said.

He said 95 percent of sexual assaults go unreported, so this rise in campus reports is in many ways promising.

“I hope that (number) represents people feeling more comfortable coming forward,” Sauls said.

DPS spokesman Randy Young said the numbers might have been lower in past years because students were reluctant to report at all.

“Sometimes people just don’t want to involve themselves further emotionally,” Young said.

“There could be any number of reasons that people may not be able to report.”

Students can report sexual assault through many different University avenues: DPS, the division of student affairs, Chapel Hill police and Carrboro police and the Carolina Women’s Center among others, Young said.

Most treatment for students at either UNC Hospitals or Campus Health Services can be paid for by the Victim’s Assistance Fund.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.